Early Head Start knows that each family brings a different perspective of parenting and culture. We recognize this and incorporate that uniqueness to help strengthen the family dynamic through prenatal services.
By partnering with families prenatally, as well as through the child’s first three years of life, we support families to be their child’s first and most important teacher.
Pregnant women and their families benefit in a variety of ways. A healthy pregnancy has a direct influence on the health and development of a newborn child. Early Head Start partners with women prenatally to offer supportive services as early in life as possible, as the prenatal period of growth and development has a lasting impact on the child’s potential for healthy growth and development after birth.
Prenatal services are offered through our Home-Based program option. Our home visitors provide prenatal/postnatal information through home visits, on the following subjects:
• The benefits of breastfeeding
• Healthy pregnancies
• Positive childbirth outcomes
• Fetal development
• Involving fathers in the lives of their very young children
• The risks from smoking and alcohol
• Labor and delivery
• Postpartum depression and recovery
• Maternal depression
• Supportive postpartum care for the parents and child
• Nurturing and responsive care during infancy
• SIDS/Shaken Baby information
Some of the ways home visitor’s partner prenatally with families are:
• Supporting women prenatally in receiving regular, consistent prenatal care
• Supporting women prenatally in receiving dental care
• Focusing on the relationship between the parent and the unborn child
• Goal setting