Volunteers are the only human beings on the face of the earth who reflect this nation's compassion, unselfish caring, patience, and just plain loving one another.
~Erma Bombeck, American Humorist and Writer
Tri-County Head Start welcomes families, friends, and community members to volunteer in our classrooms. Volunteers are critical to the success of Head Start and Early Head Start. The participation of volunteers has been an effective way of mobilizing community resources to strengthen services. Parents can volunteer, explore the exciting field of early childhood education, learn more about child development, and potential employment opportunities. Volunteers can assist with classroom activities, upkeep and renovation of centers, playground and other similar tasks. Volunteers may choose to give 15 minutes of their time while dropping their own child at school, a few hours of time during an afternoon session, or spend full days at school as part of the classroom team.
Before volunteering, you will be required to read, sign and adhere to the Tri-County Head Start "Code of Conduct". You will receive training from the Classroom Staff so that you are comfortable with the responsibilities of being a Head Start volunteer. All volunteers are supervised at all times. No volunteer is ever left alone with children.
What types of things would I do as a volunteer?
• Read to children - one child or the entire class.
• Assist children with activities to develop skills in creative arts, science, math, dramatic play, literacy, movement, and motor abilities.
• Help children learn good practices for health, safety and nutrition.
• Play games with the children on the playground.
• Participate in meal and snack times while enjoying conversation with children.
• Make activities at home for the classroom.
• Contribute ideas for future classroom experiences.
• Make some observations about your child and share with the teacher.
What is the time commitment?
• Volunteers can come as often as they wish. Volunteering on a regular basis will require physical and TB test, for your safety and the safety of the children and staff.
• We welcome volunteers that come part of the day or stay for the whole day.
• No amount of time is too little!
Make a difference in the life of a child, and in yours! For more information please Contact Us.
Those who can, do. Those who can do more, volunteer. ~Author Unknown